2019 was a great year for Portugal in terms of international recognition. Last year, Portugal was elected, for the third consecutive year, the World’s Leading Destination for 2019 at the World Travel Awards. This is one of the greatest recognitions a country can win at the Awards, attracting all the attention, one of the reasons that put Portugal in the spotlight last year.
Created in 1993, the World Travel Awards recognize the work done in the tourist industry worldwide in order to stimulate competitiveness and quality in tourism and are often considered the “Oscars” of tourism. The nominees are selected worldwide by thousands of industry professionals.
Here we leave you a recap of all the World Travel Awards that Portuguese regions won last year, excluding many others that went to our amazing hotels, resorts and airlines.
- World’s Leading Destination 2019 (since 2017, Portugal has been winning this award every year)
- World’s Leading Tourist Board 2019
- Europe’s Leading Destination 2019
- Europe’s Leading Tourist Board 2019
Passadiços do Paiva (Paiva Walkways), Arouca UNESCO Global Geopark:
- World’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction 2019
- Europe’s Leading Adventure Tourist Attraction 2019
- Europe’s Leading Tourism Development Project 2019
- Europe’s Leading Beach Destination 2019
- World’s Leading City Break Destination 2019
- Europe’s Leading City Break Destination 2019
- Europe’s Leading City Tourist Board 2019
Lisbon Cruise Port:
- Europe’s Leading Cruise Port 2019
- World’s Leading Island Destination 2019
- Europe’s Leading Island Destination 2019
This year, Portugal is nominated for many categories, with the 27th edition taking place on June 20 in Antalya, Turkey.
Still not convinced? See here 5 reasons to choose living in Portugal over anywhere else.